Menu

CAKE RECIPE

Cake Recipe

Cake Recipe
Cake Recipe


After years of cake successes and flops, I’m confident during this homemade vanilla cake. During my recipe testing, I combined my cake recipe and naked cake recipe. These are two reader favorites and that i knew they’d be the simplest start line . initially there have been too many eggs and that i quickly learned sifting cake flour wasn't doing any favors.


Cake Flour: If you would like a fluffy and soft bakery-style vanilla cake, cake flour is that the secret. The cake are going to be denser and heavier using all-purpose flour. If needed, you'll use this cake flour substitute.
Eggs & 2 additional egg whites: 3 whole eggs provide structure, moisture, and richness. 2 extra egg whites keep the cake light and airy. I don’t recommend using 4 whole eggs; stick with the three egg & 2 albumen combination.
Baking Powder & Baking Soda: Use both. Remember why? Using enough leaven to offer these layers height gave the cake a bitter aftertaste. bicarbonate of soda allows us to use less leaven .
Buttermilk: Buttermilk is an acidic ingredient and bicarbonate of soda requires an acid to figure . Plus buttermilk yields an additional moist cake crumb. See recipe note about the choice .
For more prominent vanilla flavor, use homemade vanilla . (What a fun DIY gift!) This vanilla cake batter is moderately thick and fits perfectly in 3 9-inch cake pans. I actually use an equivalent exact batter to form snickerdoodle cake!

3 comments:

  1. Growing up we had dairy dinners– fish, or pasta– and were given milk to drink. On meat dinners- we had juice or water. Never soda. One night- for dairy dinner– my mother served waffles and ice cream with hot fudge and wet nuts. and that became a regular treat.
    So now that I have children- when we were at a NJ shore vacation, we always went at least once a summer for Dairy Dinner– and I often served it at home. Now that my kids are in their twenties- they think they are too grown up for dairy dinner– So once a summer , at least, my 60 something girlfriend and I go out for Dairy Dinner– coffee ice cream, fresh waffles, hot fudge, and wet dinner. My daughter knows that my new granddaughter will behaving dairy dinner

    My niece- at age 8- was invited to stay for dinner at a friend’s house for dairy dinner She started to sob, when dinner of flounder was served. Not the dairy dinner she expected that her mom learned to serve. We still joke about her failed Dairy Dinner

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are all such great stories! My siblings and I grew up in a quasi-kosher home, but when we visited our maternal grandmother all bets were off. In addition to eating BACON and shrimp at her house, she also bought sugary cereals for us (Applejacks!) that we were never allowed at home. I was not particularly close to my grandmother, but just by having those special foods on hand for us, I now have fond memories of visiting her.

    My mom really made an effort in the kitchen for us and her thoughtfulness in that regard will always stay with me. We lived in a very small, Southern town without a lot of ethnic food options available (e.g. we grew up eating ketchup on our tacos, I think because salsa was not yet available in our local grocery!). About every six weeks, my mom would make a grand Chinese food feast (stirfry, szechaun chicken salad, egg drop soup) from scratch. She even served it in special dishes that she bought at an import store in the big city and taught us all to use chopsticks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow , it's uncommon cake recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Followers